Saturday, October 24, 2009

The One You Feed



My Equine Guided Education program,  Horse Sense for Women is meeting again in a couple of weeks.  I've been checking in with my students and with my horses for "cues" on what I'll present during the next class.

Last month I shared a story  first told to me by Tom Pinkson, a shaman I was privileged  to study with for some years.  The story goes like this...
One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people. He said, “My son, the battle between two “wolves”  is inside us all. One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.  The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather:“Which wolf wins?” The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”

 I instructed each women in the group take several pink post its,  a marker and to write words to feed her 'good wolf.' Once they each had a word or phrase, I asked each person to place the post it onto a flip chart.  We repeated the process until the chart was fully covered with words of self-love,  compassion, hope, kindness, dignity and so forth.  This powerful exercise had staying power as the learning from the weekend found integration into each persons life.

As I'm pondering the upcoming class,  I noticed a crumpled piece of pink paper in the barn.  I smoothed it open and smiled as I read the hand written words ' you are good enough the way you are.'











No comments:

Post a Comment